Monday, October 17, 2016

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher || Book Review





Book: Thirteen Reasons Why
Author: Jay Asher
Release Date: October 2007
Published: RazorBill - Penguin Books
Genres: YA Contembory 
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Debra Wiseman and Joel Johnstone
Length: 6 hr. and 24 min

Pages: 336

This book has been on my radar since it first came out when I was in high school. Because of the subject matter I was always put off and unsure of how it would handle the subject. I finally picked this up for a couple of reasons; everyone loves it and Jay Asher is coming to town on tour of his new novel, of which I read the first chapter and adored. 

Thirteen Reasons Why tells the story of why Hannah Baker killed herself. Our main character, Clay Jensen, receives a box full of audio tapes and when he starts listening to them he discovers that they are tapes that had been recorded by his crush Hannah shortly before she died. 

This book is told from Clay's point of view but we get inside of Hannah's mind through being able to listen (or read) to her tapes. I would completely recommend this on audiobook because it is narrated by both a male voice and female voice, meaning the tapes are in a female voice making the connection to Hannah having made the tapes much stronger. 

Hannah is very clear in tape one that there are thirteen reasons, or people, that ultimately shaped her mind into wanting to kill herself and that she would address each of them in the tapes. She is also clear that each person is to send the tapes to the next person on the list and if they did not a second set of tapes would be released exposing the secrets of all those mentioned. 

The book takes us through an entire night of Clay listening to the tapes and following what Hannah wants the listeners to do while giving us insight to his feelings and insight to Hannah's mind. 

I completely loved this book! I can see why so many people love it and call it a favorite. It's emotional and makes you think. I appreciate the look into the mind of a person who is severely depressed and that it makes you think. This book does a really great job of showing you not to judge someone by the rumors you hear and to pay attention to the warning signs, you never know what someone could be going through. 

The only downside I had to this book was listening to it at work, it was hard not getting emotional and I had a few people ask me what was wrong. Other than that I really loved it and cannot wait to meet Jay Asher next week! 

Overall I would recommend this to anyone looking for a good emotional read, just know what the subject matter is going into it and be in the right head space. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment