Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Love and First Sight by Josh Sundquist || Book Review




Book: Love and First Sight
Author: Josh Sundquist
Release Date: January 3rd, 2017
Published: Little, Brown and Company 
Genres: YA Contemporary 
Format: Hardback
Pages: 272


Hey y'all!! 

This month I'm going to be a guest host for Contemporary Corner and I am so thankful they asked me to guest host on this month. This months book, Love and First Sight, has been one of my most anticipated reads since Josh announced he was working on his first fictional novel and it did not disappoint! 

 Love and First Sight follows Will, a blind 16 year old who decides he wants to go to a mainstream high school after spending his entire school career at a boarding school for the blind. He makes friends and even starts falling for a girl in his journalism class, Cecily. After an experimental surgery gives Will the opportunity to see for the first time he learns that his friends weren't honest with him and that Cecily may not be the most traditionally beautiful girl.

I loved this book!! It was fun, insightful, beautiful, and eye opening. I loved the characters, the story, the scenery, and most of all the message. When Will is experiencing sight for the first time he gives the most detailed, yet basic, descriptions giving the reader time to take a moment and think about the colors and shapes of things they see on an every day basis. 

While this book primarily focuses on Will and his blindness we see so much personality from him, he's not just the blind kid. We see his love for journalism and his sarcastic nature when people ask questions about his blindness. We also see his fear for fitting in and being 'normal' while also seeing his confidence in navigating the school after being shown his classes. 

I do wish it was longer but I usually wish YA contemporary were longer. I want more time with these characters and this story! I want to see Will and Cecil in their remaining time in high school. I want to see more game nights. I want to see more family bike rides. I just want more. 

This book was a very quick read. I almost read the entire book in one sitting. Had I not needed to go to bed for work I would have. I don't read books in one day very often, luckily I've been reading some magnificent books lately that I have been able to read in one or two sittings. I simply did not want to put Love and First Sight down!!

 Further more, Love and First Sight made me laugh out loud, it made me warm and fuzzy, gave me hope, made me see things in a new way, and also made me a bit teary eyed. Anyone who loves a good YA contemporary should check this book out! Love and First Sight is insightful, funny, heart breaking, and an all around great read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment